1. YOU ARE BORING: Okay so we've all heard that.."If you're bored, it's because you're boring." It's a harsh reality and that's why I wanted to get it over with on #1. Chose not to be boring and believe it or not, you won't be bored. Plain and simple.
Action: Snap out of it and gain some respect for yourself, your time, and your life.
2. FEAR & COMFORT: You may be afraid to take control of your own life so you allow life to happen as it may. You are afraid to be bold, to step outside of your comfort zone and do something...anything! It's always easier to let life happen to you rather than shaping your life yourself.
Action: Take charge and stare fear in the face. Stepping outside your comfort zone is one of the most rewarding experiences. Do something that scares you.
3. THINKING SMALL: You set your sights too low, too simple, too easy. Try dreaming big, magical, amazing. Just thinking about those dreams will keep you from being bored. All of the possibilities, adventures, excitement that awaits you will spring new energy into your life.
Action: Dream big, and do it now!
4. LIMITING BELIEFS: This goes hand in hand with #3. You have beliefs that keep you from dreaming big. Have you ever said, "I can't" or "I don't have enough time," "I'm too broke," "I'm not good enough," or "I don't deserve it." Those are beliefs that LIMIT your experience in life. It's time to let go of those and realize they are completely false. Doing something fun or interesting does not have to take up a lot of time, it doesn't have to cost anything, and you absolutely deserve to be happy and to enjoy every last moment of your life.
Action: Write down all the reasons you are "stuck" being bored. Now take a marker, cross them all out so you can't read them anymore and then write all of the things you could do to not be bored.
5. PEER GROUP: If the people you surround yourself with are "boring" then you will likely fall into those same patterns and start feeling bored. We are who we surround ourselves with. Surround yourself with people who live life, really live it. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you, who are creative and resourceful and can find the fun in anything.
Action: Get some new friends or lead by example. Step up and be the one to initiate.
6. BLIND TO GRATITUDE: When we live in a place of gratitude, we subconsciously keep ourselves from disempowering emotions like boredom or stress or upset. Being grateful for exactly what is present in your life will turn your boredom into calm and peace. Those boring days with nothing to do become relaxing days to just enjoy yourself without having to do anything. It gives you a whole new perspective.
Action: Keep a gratitude journal. Everyday write just 5 things you are grateful for. Small, big, anything. You will train yourself to be able to see the awesome things in life more easily.
7. DISCREPANCY BETWEEN DESIRE AND REALITY: We always feel emotional pain when what we want and what we have are not the same. When this happens, you have a few options. 1. Reconnect with #6 and be grateful for what IS or 2. Take some action towards getting what you want. It's not worth talking and whining and groaning about what is wrong, quit wasting time and start creating the life you want.
Action: Spend some time writing down your goals. Be specific. Then write down your plan of action to make them a reality.
8. STAGNANCY: This is when you have no growth or change. When you feel you are moving in one, certain, constant straight line with no ups or downs.
Action: Make some changes, learn something new, alter your environment, meet new people.
A Plethora of Boredom Killing Ideas:
Go for a hike
Write a Poem
Learn about something new (Google, hello!)
Read a new book
Re-arrange your furniture
Play a board game
Go for a walk through your neighborhood
Take a relaxing bath
Smile at a stranger
Visit a museum
Bake or Cook something new (and then eat it)
Paint your nails a new color
Learn a new language
Call up an old friend or family member
Watch a movie
Volunteer with a local organization
Go to the park and play
Go on Pinterest
Create a Dream Board
Go to the zoo
Visit some local landmarks
Get a job
Clean and Organize
Try a new restaurant
Paint some pottery
Play Video Games
Take a day trip
Go to local events
Take a class
Ride a bike
Learn to play an instrument